SECOND ANNUAL OZARK BIOMEDICAL INITIATIVE RESEARCH SYMPOSIUM(OBIRS 2017)
Dr. Lenka Fedorkova is the Founder and CEO of bioPrime, LLC, which is dedicated to facilitating and promoting commercialization of early-stage biomedical innovations and helping entrepreneurs secure NIH funding through the SBIR/STTR programs. Dr. Fedorkova is a former manager and coordinator of the NIH SBIR/STTR programs across the agency's 24 funding Institutes and Centers, where she ran NIH's flagship Commercialization Assistance Program. She spearheaded the development of funding programs, including the Commercialization Readiness Program, I-Corps assistance program, Innovation Zone, which is a technology showcased partnered with the Biotechnology Industry Organization, amongst other initiaitves. Notably, she has directly worked with many successful NIH awardees on developing successful commercialization strategies. Dr. Lenka Federkova will share practical tips and lessons for aspiring entrepreneurs to help them effectively navigate through and understand NIH's research priorities, funding options, the review process, and important due diligence strategies for preparing a competitive application for SBIR/STTR programs and beyond.
Saturday, Aug 19, 2017, 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. St. Pat's Ballroom, Havener Center.
To increase collaboration and clinical research at PCRMC and Missouri S&T
You are welcome to join the event regardless of your abstract contribution. We request that all prospective attendees register online, since name badges, breaks and lunch will be provided.
Date and Time
Saturday, August 19, 2017. 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
View full the symposium schedule
St. Pat’s Ballroom, Havener Center, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, MO.
Parking is available in any lot on campus during Saturday's event.
Tuesday, August 1 at 11:59 p.m. CT
Faculty and student abstract format for poster presentation
Attendees, particularly faculty and students, are strongly encouraged to bring their posters and present them at the poster session. All accepted abstracts will be included in the symposium program for networking and collaboration.
Poster Presentation: There is no particular format for the poster (normally 3 ft x 4 ft size) preferably with the same title as that of abstract. Please submit a one page pdf describing your research expertise and/or areas of interest for collaboration. Abstract should include the following:
- Title of current or potential collaborative project
- Name, rank and affiliation (S&T or PCRMC) (URL, if any)
- Synopsis of current or potential collaborative project (one paragraph, no more than 1/4 page)
- Brief biography (one paragraph, no more than 1/4 page)
- Potential contribution and needs (one paragraph, no more than 1/4 page) describing the following:
- How your research can contribute to biomedical applications
- Your research needs (e.g., clinical data/samples, equipment/facility, computational tools/techniques, existing collaborators and/or expertise anticipated, etc.).
You are welcome to join the event if you do not submit a poster abstract.
Clinician abstract format
One paragraph (about 200 words) PDF. All accepted abstracts will be included in the symposium program for networking and collaboration.
- Name, rank and affiliation (URL, if any)
- Brief biography
- Current clinical practices with patient population seen (if applicable)
- Areas of interest for collaboration
8:00 – 8:45 am : Registration, Coffee, Networking
8:45 – 9:00 am : Welcome and introduction of keynote speaker
9:00 – 10:00 am : Keynote Presentation, "Accessing NIH’s Research Dollars: An Insider’s Perspective on Funding Options and Strategies", Dr. Lenka Fedorkova, bioPrime, LLC Founder and CEO and former NIH/SBIR manager
10:00 – 10:30 am : Coffee Break and Networking
10:30 – 11:45 am : OBI REC Grant Awardees’ Presentations
- 10:30 –10:45 am : Liu-Bliss Spider Sex Pheromones (page 16)
- 10:45 –11:00 am : Burton Traumatic Brain Injury Metabolites (page 20)
- 11:00 –11:15 am : Corns Fetal Distress Signals (page 22)
- 11:15 –11:30 am : Park Biodegradable Brachytherapy (page 13)
- 11:30 –11:45 am : Barua Breast Cancer Drug Nanorods (page 10)
12:00 – 1:00 pm : Lunch Break
1:00 – 1:30 pm : Research Showcase Poster Session
1:30 – 2:30 pm : Image Processing Presentations
- 1:30 – 1:45 pm : Mishra State of the Art in Dermoscopy Image Processing
- 1:45 – 2:00 pm : Hagerty Medical Image Processing and Deep Learning (page 27)
- 2:00 – 2:15 pm : Almubarak Color Detection with Fuzzy Logic (page 18)
- 2:15 – 2:30 pm : Stoecker Automatic Detection of Basal Cell Carcinoma (page 12)